Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Project

We went to Columbia last Wednesday to meet our third family and to deliver more cards. The exciting thing? Sarah Hill from KOMU was there to interview our sponsored family and Jamie and me. I have pictures but have not downloaded them. Our story will most likely air in May. I will post more information when I have it! I am so excited to see how it turns out. I cried during the interview and I was super nervous. But I hope that it will inspire others to help these families - whether it is through Hold My Heart or on their own initiative.

Another exciting part of this trip was that my dad was able to go. He wasn't able to come out to see Alyssa when we were in the NICU. It was really nice to see everyone. My dad was able to see Alyssa's room and meet some of the doctors and nurses that took care of her. We took Addy and she was also able to meet them. So it was a very special day in a lot of ways.

As for the new project...Dasi (the social worker) was talking about some of the new improvements coming to the NICU waiting room. I asked how the foundation can help and she suggested making care bags. So now my mission is to ask hotels in the area to donate personal care items. I will put these in a nice gift bag with our information. Dasi will hand them out to families that need it. I am super excited about this. Why didn't I think of this before? Our trip wasn't planned and we were not prepared. In fact, I think when Jamie packed (in a hurry) he didn't include personal care items. So we were in the same boat a lot of the families end up in. Another project that I would like to do eventually is to also provide disposable cameras that Dasi can hand out. Luckily Jamie had his phone or we would not have had those first precious pictures of Alyssa when she was born. But baby steps first. Maybe we can get a really great response from hotels in the area and maybe they will include cameras as well!

I will post pictures and information about our third family this week. Things have slowed down foundation wise for me but with a newborn I guess that is to be expected! Please continue to pray for the families and for our foundation to grow and touch as many families as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment